Goukamma Marine Protected Area
The Goukamma MPA was proclaimed in 1990 and is 10 kilometres west of Knysna. It has a coastline of approximately 16km that extends east from Buffels Bay to Platbank and one nautical mile out to sea.
The Goukamma MPA supports a mixture of warm temperate species, including many that are endemic to South Africa’s south coast. The Goukamma estuary is one of a small number of semi open closed estuaries and functions naturally with no artificial opening or closing of the mouth. The fact that it has a large catchment area for the length of the river makes this estuary somewhat unique.
The MPA is an important breeding area for the rare African black oystercatcher and many other sea birds that frequent this area.
Globally-threatened sea turtles, including loggerhead, green, hawksbill and leatherback, also visit these shores. Many other marine mammal species have been sighted in this MPA, including various types of dolphin, whales, sharks and seals.
Goukamma MPA consists of approximately 5.5 km of sandy shores, 5 km of rocky shores and 3.5 km of mixed rocky/sandy shore. It has important offshore reefs which provide habitat to commercially important species, such as hake and endemic fish species, such as red steenbras. Furthermore, the offshore soft sediment areas close inshore between the offshore reefs is important areas for east coast sole.
Length of coastline protected:
Area of ocean protected:
- To conserve and manage biodiversity and natural processes representative of Southern Cape terrestrial and marine ecological systems;
- To improve the reach and quality of biodiversity management;
- To create environmental awareness;
- To expand and secure the conservation estate;
- To provide appropriate opportunities and facilities for recreation;
- To promote social and economic opportunities and sustainable utilisation; and
- To effectively conserve our cultural heritage attributes.
Brenton-on-Sea is a beautiful town just outside of Knysna and not far from the Goukamma Marine Protected Area. It offers scenic ocean views its residents. Would you like to own a house in Brenton-on-Sea? Say no more... Contact Sophie on 082 572 2729 today!