History of George
George in the South Cape, Garden Route is the sixth oldest town in South Africa - the first founded under British rule - and was named after the reigning monarch in 1811, King George III. The Outeniqua forests were the reason the Dutch East India Company, in 1776, established a woodcutters outpost on the site of what became George in 1811. It was declared a drostdy by the Earl of Caled on on 23 April 1811. George gained municipal status in 1837.
The building shown on this photograph was situated at the corner of York and Hibernia Streets, George, where the Old Mutual Building now stands, directly opposite the Standard Bank. This photograph records the opening of the late H.J Raubenheimer’s legal practice in 1906, when he joined the practise of Mr J.W.L. Krige. This practice was taken over by Mr Raubenheimer on 1 June 1907 when Mr Krige moved to Mossel Bay. The persons in the photograph are from left to right- Mr Raubenheimer, Adam Barnard of Rondvlei (the first client), Mr Krige and J.T. Ferreira. The pharmacy of J.H Morris & Co. was later erected in Hibernia Street where the tree on the right is shown